
Growing up people made fun of me because of my teeth and my glasses. I wished to have straight beautiful teeth and even when I was back home I had some braces, but they didn't help much. When i saw that they didn't work, I tried to straighten my teeth by myself and I broke on of my front teeth and now I have to have a filling there. With the enhancing of technology, even straightening ones teeth is possible. So when I came to the States I went to an orthodontics and I had braces again and this time it worked better; he was so kind to me unlike the one in Romania. Now I am pretty much pleased with my teeth so I guess that my first wish came true.
Can you imagine having cricked huge teeth and wearing glasses? LOL I was labeled as an oven with 4 burners. Haha. It is kind of funny, but at that time I didn't need more labeling. I refused wearing glasses although my sight was pretty bad. In school I did pretty bad because I could not see the blackboard and I had to copy from my desk-mate. I had glasses but I wore them on rare occasions when I realized that I needed to see something and I couldn't rely on the next door neighbour. I tried using contacts, but they seemed expensive at a time and I got used to not wearing anything anyways. Lasik is a real miracle!!! I went for a free checkup and they told me that I qualified for it. I was so excited and because I was not pregnant or nursing I decided to go ahead and do it. It wasn't cheep, but my second wish came true and it worth every penny. It is so fun to be able to see. I still have the tendency to ask Lia or anyone else who is with me about what it says on street signs and then I realize that I can actually see it. :D I kind of can't remember that I wasn't able to really see as well. :D My healing process was kind of slow so far, but all I need is patience. My eyes get dry a lot and I have to use drops to substitute for tears (I guess no more crying for me). Usually people heal a lot faster, but I can see and I am totally able to function properly because my eyes have been sealed up and stuff. It was funny because at the doctor's office there was a guy that served his mission in Hungary. Unfortunately I didn't talk to him in Hungarian, I should have had. :PMy third wish was kind of tricky. I couldn't decide if I wanted to be healthy or wealthy, so I went for both. Haha. I really want to be wealthy and have the freedom to travel and do stuff without having monetary difficulties. I am not wealthy, but I still have more possibilities then I once had and I still have time for my third wish to come true.
I said that my third wish was tricky because as I became a teenager I kind of wished to marry my first true love. LOL It didn't come true as well, but as I aged I realized that we make love, it doesn't happen all of the sudden. I guess that for a true love to be strong, both parties have to feel the same way, and I am not even sure if that is possible. I watched Letter to Juliet and I was not that impressed by the movie To live a lifetime and then realising that you actually are in love with another person is kind of sad and a betrayal. Anyways, according to the genie, he can't interfere with love. LOL So I did that all by myself and I am lucky to have somebody who loves me (hopefully). haha. No for real, Aric is so nice to me and I love him. :D
So, now as a side note. Why do Europeans think that to be so bold and sincere is something to be desired? Why tell somebody if he/she is fat, zitty, big nosed, ugly, or anything negative? Isn't that something that an uneducated person would do? I think that if you don't have something nice to say about a person, you better not say anything. And I was also wondering that when people say bad things about others, maybe they are not secure about their own image and by putting somebody down they feel better about themselves. I think that that was one of the things that I loved when I first met the missionaries because they were so kind to everyone and I for the first time in my life, I felt excepted. Now when I look at people, I can see past their weaknesses and see what is best in them. We don't need more doctor to tell us what is wrong with us, we need more people who point out what is best in us. We need more people who see potential rather than outside appearance that sometimes can mislead you.





6 comments:
Intr-un fel m-ai facut sa rad cu postul tau. Ma bucur ca dorintele ti s-au indeplinit, mai ales cu ochiii. Si mie mi-au spus cei din jur lucruri negative in Romania. De fapt, mi-era frica sa port pantaloni scurti sau fuste, pentru ca am picioarele foarte albe, si imi spuneau ca am picioare de branza. Biserica educa oamenii intr-un mod unic!
Annie, Jeremy a zis ca ai dreptate cu partea de a nu spune nimic daca nu ai ceva frumos despus de alta persoana.
Sper sa te vindeci rapid cu ochii si sa nu mai ai probleme. Cred ca anul viitor o sa fie randul lui Jeremy pentru Lasik.
I came to the same conclusion about this latin boldness problem. It is true that we may come from a rough background surrounded by lots of uneducated people who have been passing on the ability to put others down. I don't like it anymore either. I am hoping to gradually change the way I think as well. It makes you realise that in a way, your negative opinion has no value in anyone's eyes. So best to shut up, and wave that thought away and get on with your life.
My wishes were always kind of minimised. I always thought that I don't need 3 wishes, but only 1. That was because material things, whatever they are, can happen with only one wish coming true. That is to be RICH. So, I always wished for that first. Sometimes I would wish to be smart and helthy. And that would pretty much sum all my wishes up.
I am not sure I am still wishing things anymore. I feel like I am at the age when if I want something, I just go get it. So, wishing is in a way replaced by planning. Which I believe is a more active kind of wishing...
I loved your post. This week I have really been pondering the whole outside appearance thing. When I am with my good friends and family, I don't worry about what I look like or what I am wearing, but then when I am around others, I tend to think different.
I can't really think of the wishes I had growing up, probably to be rich, beautiful and loved.
hahaha eni esti haioasa! dar sa sti ca nu este asa in europa. cred ca este asa in romania. te pup
Imi place cum ai scris postul acesta. Ma bucur ca ti s-au implinit doua din cele 3 dorinte pe care le-ai avut de cand erai mica. Daca ma gandesc bine unele din dorintele mele s-au schimbat si ca si tine, nu puteam niciodata sa imi pun numai trei! :) Dar desi timpul a trecut, sunt multumita cu viata mea si e chiar mai buna decat mi-am imaginat.
Despre imaginea de sine si parerea celorlalti, cred ca e cam la fel si in alte tari din Europa. Cel putin asa era si in Irlanda. Oamenii pun mare pret pe cum arata si cu ce se imbraca. E o chestie de cultura care a inceput de multe decenii. Sa nu uitam ca Europa a avut si are o cultura si arta dezvoltata si ca multe din artele pe care le vedem acum practicate pe alte continente, au inceput in Europa, cum ar fi dansul, moda sau teatrul.
Post a Comment