Friday, November 12, 2010

Freedom!!!!

Although for some, number 13 is not quite lucky, for me it is one of the best numbers. I was born on the 13th, I got baptised on the 13th, and now I became an American Citizen on October 13Th. As I was thinking of what it means to me to be an American citizen, the house-elves from Harry Potter series came to my mind. As I was reading about the House-elves, I was just reminded of the communist regime that I grew up in and the effects that it had on me and on others around me.

A house elf is a magical creature which is devoted and loyal to his master. They serve wealthy wizards and witches, and must do everything their master commands them unless they are freed. House elves use towels, tea cozies, or pillow cases as clothing and they consider it shameful to wear normal clothes. The only way a house elf can be free is if they receive an article of clothing; for most house-elves, this would be a great insult and they would be shamed forever.
Dobby was one of the house-elves who wanted desperately to be free. He didn't like his master and he always tried to help Harry Potter which he failed as long as he was under a master. Dobby was accidentally set free by his master, Lucius Malfoy, when he gave him Harry Potters old sock ; this was a sign that the elf was free and since then he was able to use his magic and he helped Harry quite often. Since his freedom, Doby was particularly fond of socks and as he began to work he used his earnings to buy yarn and knit them himself.
House elves were treated horribly by their master, but despite their horrible lifestyle, they seemed to actually enjoy being enslaved. With a few exceptions, house elves will feel insulted if their master attempts to pay them, give them pensions, or reward their service with anything except kindness.

Hermione, one of the Hogwarts students, in outrage for the inhumane treatment of house elves, created a student organization in an attempt to win rights for house elves. Some students refused to join the organization because they believed that the elves liked being treated the way they did. Hermione began hiding little hats and socks in the Gryffindor dormitory in an attempt to trick the house elves into picking them up and thus granting them their freedom. Her gesture was not appreciated by the elves; they took it as for insult and refused to clean the common room, with the exception of Dobby.

Why does this all reminds me of the Communist regime? Simply because I feel that we were enslaved to a cruel dictator. I was probably too young to realize that we were not free, but I definitely remember the moment when the revolution was over and many people were excited about the new freedom. I remember thinking that now we could buy bread and other food items without a ticket; I remember the sweet spirit that I felt at that moment although I did not realize what it was.
This new freedom brought much confusion amongst people. Many were used to the old regime and wished that there was someone who controlled their lives and who gave them a job and an apartment. During the dictatorship a job was secured for everyone; in other words everyone was forced to work in a factory. Also they provided affordable flats for people, but they also controlled the amount of electricity, heat, and water that one would get. Despite all the controlling facts, many still felt more comfortable in that regime. Many did not know what to do with their freedom and the leadership of the country wasn't prepared to handle it.

A few years after the revolution I remember walking down the streets of Brasov and feeling that I did not belong there; I felt that somehow I was born in the wrong place. I did not feel accepted by others and I felt that no matter how hard I tried I wasn't good enough. When I first landed in New York City the first feeling that I got was freedom. I did not know anyone there at that moment, but there was a sweet feeling of freedom that made me feel that I could fly and that I could start something new in my life. I did not plan to become an American Citizen, but I loved the feeling that I got and I always wanted to have that with me.

A few years later after my mission was over I was talking to someone in the airplane as I was going back home. He was a psychologist and he told me that I will not like being home after I tasted some of the freedom. At that moment I did not know what he was talking about; all I knew was that I was so afraid to go home and not know what I was going to do. I wanted to continue my education, but I felt that I would not be accepted in that society the way I wanted to be. After much prayer, study, and meditation I realised that my desire was to go to BYU and study there. It was hard for me to get there without money and support, but I wanted it more than anything. I had a great friend that was a big support to me at that time; she was there with a BYU's orphanage program. She helped me apply to take my test and she even tried to help me find a sponsor. From an unexpected source I finally received an answer to my prayers; an American family that did not even know me, was willing to sponsor me to come to the US and continue my education. This family was the best thing that happened to me at that time and I consider them as part of my family now; I don't think that they realize how thankful I am and I am not even sure if I could express myself well enough.

At BYU I studied hard and I did pretty well; I felt accepted and I felt that I could do anything that I wanted to do. I felt free!!!! It was a freedom that I never felt in my own country. I've been to visit Romania a few times and although I missed people and places there, I did not like the feeling that I had. When I am in Romania I feel limited, judged, and misunderstood. I feel that although that country was freed from a dictatorship many years ago, it still has a feeling of slavery. Although a lot of things have changed and there are many who enjoy their new freedom, there are the ones that wish to be controlled and told what they do; the ones who live in the past.

Although I believe that freedom is for everyone, I also believe that many are not ready to embrace freedom. One needs an open heart and a willingness to change; many might even be afraid of change and are too rooted in their ways. I think that help will come to those who help themselves; Give a man a fish and he will feed his family for a day, but if you teach a man to fish, he will feed his family forever. I think that the same principle applies to those who seek liberty. If we expect everything to be given to us, we will never be able to govern ourselves and enjoy freedom.

And now I want to clarify that I love Romania; I have learned so much there. It shaped me and helped me better understand and appreciate freedom. We need adversity in everything to appreciate what is good in life. Also my family is wonderful; they have taught me great morals and traditions to the best of their abilities. My parents care for me and they call me often to check on me. I am so grateful for all the sacrifices they made so that my brother and I could feel secure; I think that because of their loving care I did not even realise that times were hard. They always provided for us and fought for what we had. They also taught me to defend myself and stand up for what I believe.

I think that being an American Citizen is more a state of mind for me. When I was 18 I changed my religion because I felt strongly that I found the right one. At that time many people judged me for doing so, but I did not care; the principles and doctrines of the gospel were too important to pass. Now I changed my citizenship and although there might be some that judge me, I do not care. I love freedom and I love this country more than I thought I would. I love the constitution!!! Romania will always have a special place in my heart, but America will always be the place where I feel that I could achieve my potential.

And these are some quotes that I like:

"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature."Benjamin Franklin

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."Thomas Paine

"Liberty, according to my metaphysics, is an intellectual quality, an attribute that belongs not to fate nor chance. Neither possesses it, neither is capable of it. There is nothing moral or immoral in the idea of it. The definition of it is a self-determining power in an intellectual agent. It implies thought and choice and power; it can elect between objects, indifferent in point of morality, neither morally good nor morally evil." John Adams

3 comments:

Ioana said...

Eni, am plans citind postul tau pentru si eu simt exact la fel despre libertate, cetatenie, Romania s.a.m.d. Multumesc pentru felul cum te-ai exprimat si pentru acest post.
Si felicitari pentru cetatenie!!!! Si eu am primit-o tot pe 13 oct, dar in 2006! Super marfa!:)

Erin said...

Thank you for sharing. That was so beautiful. You are such a great person and I'm so glad that I was able to be a part of your life even if only for a glimpse.

Adina Bucknall said...

congrats for getting your citizenship!