Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Charter Scools Versus Public schools

My experiences with PT meetings made me think about trying out a charter school instead of a traditional Public School. I feel like the current teacher does not know Aren as well and although she will have a different teacher next year I still think that the traditional system does not help teachers to know their students as well.
I checked out 2 charter schools that are closer to us and I have to write down my feelings and thoughts so I can make a better decision.
The first one I checked out was the C.S Lewis Academy in Santaquin
http://www.cslewisacademy.net/
I drove by this school a few times and I thought it was a cool school. My first impression when I went inside was that it was pretty large inside, but I was not impressed by the personnel. Something about first impression that threw me off. We went after classes so we were able to walk through the class and talk to one of the kindergarten teachers.
These are some of the things that we found:
  • A big air balloon hanging down the sealing with books hanging down as well. I thought it was a cool concept to teach kids that Books are fun and they open a new world for us.
  • the building reminded me of UVU (Utah valley University). It was kind of big inside and it felt distant. Big pipes on the walls; an industrial feeling. The floors were not carpeted and it looked kind of dirty, but it was at the end of the day, so I guess it means that they worked hard. :D
  • The Kindergarten class was pretty spacious, but it felt kind of unorganized and dirty again. It had individual tables and a smart board which was cool and I think that most people are attracted to the school because of their smart boards. (Google it if you want to find out more about them because I am not sure how to explain it; it is computerized boardes that allows you to teach and interact with your students)
  • The teacher seemed nice and tired (it was the end of the day)
  • they have an individualized teaching system; it allows kids to progress instead of staying at the same level as others who are not as advanced as they might be. It has groups that allows students to learn on their own levels.
  • The play area was right by their class and it had a little hill for sledding.
  • their library seemed big enough and they had computers there. They even had a flying Harry Potter hanging from the sealing. Aren thought that was cool.
  • They have a Bus, but not for our area and it is kind of far from us.
  • Their ratings are 3 out of 1o (test ratings); the same number as Aren's current school. I think they rate the schools after 2 grade.
  • Aren loved it, and I was not that impressed by it as much.
The second school I checked out was the Liberty Academy in Salem which is closer to us. We went during school hours and we were not able to stay in the classroom as much, but we still had a good tour.
http://libertyacademycs.org/
  • My first impression was good
  • it seemed smaller inside and a little homier.
  • patriotic. LOL; thus the name. :D
  • Their classroom seemed more organized and they had their computers in the classroom instead of the Library; they had lots of books in the classroom as well.
  • the play area was off the hall which was accessible by all the younger students. The older students were on a different side of the building.
  • The floors were carpeted and they had round tables; the kids were able to sit in a circle.
  • They had a Bus route in our neighborhood; we still have to apply and get on it.
  • Their Library seemed small, but at the same time there were only books in the Library and not computers.
  • I forgot to ask about individualized learning system, but I am pretty sure that they have some sort of individualized system.
  • They have a 5 out of 10 rating which is better than the other one.
  • Aren kept telling me she wanted the other one; I kept telling her that this one has a Bus. LOL I really felt that this one was a bit more organized and I lean towards this, but I have not yet decided.
It is just hard to take a decision; I want to make the best decision for my kids and sometimes it helps when I think out loud. I am also thinking of the possibility of moving in a few years and the one in Salem would work even if we move to Spanish Fork. (Aric does not want to move any Norther than that)

2 comments:

Adina Bucknall said...

it's weird how it is expected to have carpeted floor in schools. i like that when i was at BYU, loved wilkinson centre though it needed a lot of modernisation...

but thinking back when i was in primary and i used to look at the wooden floors during lessons and wonder if there is a place where there are carpets on the classroom floors. also the teachers' area (cancelarie) used to have a carpet and i thought that was quite special lol

Annie Hawkins said...

They don't need to be carpeted, but it looked nicer. Most schools are not, but I liked the feel of the carpeted one probably because it was smaller and it felt homier. :D